Darlot Gold Mine
The Darlot Gold Mine is located ~900km north-east of Perth in the highly-endowed Eastern Goldfields region of Western Australia. The mine is operated through Red 5’s 100%-owned subsidiary company, Darlot Mining Company Pty Ltd.
The mine has a long production history, celebrating its 30th anniversary of continuous gold production in November 2018, with a total output of 17.8 million tonnes grading 4.8g/t Au for 2.8 million ounces of contained gold since mining commenced in November 1988.
The operation has been previously owned and operated by Sundowner Minerals NL, Forsayth NL, Plutonic Resources Ltd, Homestake Mining Company, Barrick Gold Corporation and, before its acquisition by Red 5 in October 2017, by Gold Fields Limited.
Despite its significant historical output, Darlot continues to deliver new targets, including the high-grade Oval West deposit, which was discovered by Red 5 in February 2018.
Ore from Darlot is processed at the 0.83Mtpa Carbon-in-Pulp (CIP) and Carbon-in-Leach (CIL) gold processing plant located on-site, which is currently operating at a throughput of 1.0Mtpa.
The Darlot Processing Plant currently receives around half of its feed from King of the Hills. Red 5 is committed to building its Reserve base at Darlot and within the immediate surrounds so that production will be maintained in the event that the Company commits to building a stand-alone processing plant at King of the Hills. Reserve growth strategies include:
- Fully exploiting the current significant endowment (31 December 2019)
- Reserve 2.6Mt @ 3.3g/t Au for 275,000 ounces of contained gold (complemented by trucked ore from King of the Hills)
- Resource 10.8Mt @ 3.5g/t Au for 1.2Moz of contained gold
- Optimising existing assets
- Extension of existing Resources, including identification of mineable remnants
- Evaluating options to optimise the Darlot Mill
- Step-out underground exploration using HiSeis 3D seismic data
- Exploration for open pit deposits within the Darlot and Ockerburry Hill tenements
- Regional bolt-on acquisitions
- In April 2020, Red 5 acquired the Great Western gold deposit, which is approximately 80 km’s trucking distance south of the Darlot Processing Plant.
- Option Agreement to acquire the Cables and Mission gold deposits (JORC 2004 Resources of 185koz).
- Evaluating other regional opportunities
For further information on Red 5’s operating strategy at the Darlot Gold Mine, refer to the Company’s recent ASX announcements and investor presentations.
See our latest Annual Report for JORC 2012 Resource and Reserve tables.